Five Tribes Five Tribes

Forums

Search
Forums » Pirate's Cove - English » Just purchased and played last night! A few questions...
Show: Today's Posts 
  
AuthorTopic
muttly13
Junior Member

Posts: 2
Registered:
July 2011
Just purchased and played last night! A few questions... Thu, 28 July 2011 16:56
Great game, a bit heavy on the luck for my tastes but I do love pirates, so whats not to love? Anyway, my game group has a couple of outstanding questions and wanted to get the communities thoughts on how to handle them. I believe we scoured the rules for any indication of how things should be handled so I would be interested in hearing how your house rules might handle these. However if I did miss a rule, please let me know!

1 - Mastercraft : We follow the book rule on one per ship. However, its not particularly clear if it can be changed. For example, I place MC on my Hull and get lucky enough to get a second MC card later in life. Would it be valid to remove the MC on my Hull, discard it, and place the new one on my Sails?

2 - Initiative : In the case of Sails being of equal level, a die roll determines who goes first. The rules also state that each round initiative should be recalculated (in case someone lost sails, etc...). We interpreted this as also rerolling the die for initiative as it seemed to give an unfair advantage to the original high roll to give them initiative throughout. Just curious how others play this out at home.

3 - Fleeing : Does anyone else despise that you can run from a fight basically for free if you take one hit? Its almost rewarding you for running. Personally I feel you should take a fame hit of one point to run. there is great disagreement among our group for this. Any house rules out there or is everyone generally happy with the "free" run after taking a hit?

4 - Mutiny : Going along with the prior topic... I just feel a 1 roll is way too low a percentage, again almost forcing you to run instead of sticking it out. Anyone play around with this percentage at all?

5 - Legendary Pirate : I was toying with the idea of a random LP each encounter with him. Anyone try this? To difficult? Add any fun?
      
Sgt Storm
Senior Member
Lieutenant

User Pages
Posts: 889
Registered:
December 2006
Re:Just purchased and played last night! A few questions... Thu, 28 July 2011 22:42
muttly13 wrote on Thu, 28 July 2011 10:56


1 - Mastercraft : We follow the book rule on one per ship. However, its not particularly clear if it can be changed. For example, I place MC on my Hull and get lucky enough to get a second MC card later in life. Would it be valid to remove the MC on my Hull, discard it, and place the new one on my Sails?



We allow changing of Mastercraft if you draw a new one. I don't think there is anything in the rules prohibiting it so that's how we play.

Quote:


2 - Initiative : In the case of Sails being of equal level, a die roll determines who goes first. The rules also state that each round initiative should be recalculated (in case someone lost sails, etc...). We interpreted this as also rerolling the die for initiative as it seemed to give an unfair advantage to the original high roll to give them initiative throughout. Just curious how others play this out at home.



If there is still a tie for speed in a following round, you should roll the die again.

Quote:


3 - Fleeing : Does anyone else despise that you can run from a fight basically for free if you take one hit? Its almost rewarding you for running. Personally I feel you should take a fame hit of one point to run. there is great disagreement among our group for this. Any house rules out there or is everyone generally happy with the "free" run after taking a hit?



At first this seemed like a problem, but it isn't. If your opponent flees, everyone left on the island gets one fame. Your opponent gets no booty of any kind (essentially losing a turn). But more importantly, they do not get to upgrade while at Pirate's Cove so no 2 doubloons and 1 Tavern card. In my experience, players usually go for 2 Tavern cards during upgrade and you can get some good cards that way. So, I usually do not flee a fight, but wait until one section is destroyed. Therefore I get the modest booty at Pirate's Cove and hopefully I have done some damage to my opponents.

Quote:


4 - Mutiny : Going along with the prior topic... I just feel a 1 roll is way too low a percentage, again almost forcing you to run instead of sticking it out. Anyone play around with this percentage at all?



Yeah, it's a low percentage, but IMO there are a lot of negatives to fleeing as I mentioned above. So, I view fleeing as a poor choice and if my opponents want to flee, that's all the better for me (in other words, upping the percentage would be too much negative for the coward in my opinion).

Quote:


5 - Legendary Pirate : I was toying with the idea of a random LP each encounter with him. Anyone try this? To difficult? Add any fun?



We play with different variations with regard to the pirates. I always thought it was pretty annoying to have to play with a single pirate until it was destroyed, particularly when there are some pretty unbeatable ones. We tended to just avoid the pirate.

So, I expanded the original set of pirates with those available for download from the Fan Contributions section on the Goodies page (http://www.daysofwonder.com/piratescove/en/content/goodies/).

Then we play one of two ways:

1) Draw a different pirate at the beginning of each round from the expanded deck of pirates (before the navigation phase) (optionally re-shuffling each time), OR

2) Don't draw a pirate card until you are about to battle. That is, each time a battle needs to be resolved against a pirate, draw the next pirate from the expanded deck before the battle begins (but after players have committed to the island with the legendary pirate ship).

      
    
Previous Topic:Can an Opponent send Royal Navy to your LP Battle?
Next Topic:Iron parrots
Goto Forum: