Ticket to Ride Receives First New Digital Map in Seven Years
Ticket to Ride Legendary Asia comes to iPad, Valve's Steam and Steam Play, and DaysofWonder.com
Los Altos, CA; Paris, France — August 2, 2012 — Days of Wonder today announced a major update to their best-selling digital board game Ticket to Ride ® with the release of Ticket to Ride Legendary Asia, the first new map to hit digital platforms in nearly seven years. the new map, which lets rail barons connect routes from Karachi to Kathmandu, comes to the iOS store for iPad, to Valve ®'s Steam® platform for PC and Mac, and to Days of Wonder's browser-based game on DaysofWonder.com as a new in-app purchase.
Alongside the release of Ticket to Ride Asia for multiple platforms, Ticket to Ride for Steam is now available on Mac and enabled as a Steam Play game. Steam Play allows customers to purchase games once and play anywhere. Whether they have purchased Ticket to Ride on a Mac or PC, customers can play on the other platform free of charge.
First released as an expansion for the physical board game in Christmas 2011, the Asia map collection proved immensely popular, selling out almost immediately. The Legendary Asia map design released today originally emerged as one of two Grand Prize winners of Days of Wonder's 2011 Worldwide Ticket to Ride Map Design contest.
The digital release of Legendary Asia includes a number of new features unique to that map:
- Mountain Routes, which consume additional trains from the players' reserves, but score +2 points each when crossed; this simple mechanics greatly impacts the control players have over the length of the game, since a player's low (2 or less) train reserve triggers the end game
- A brand new artificial intelligence specifically developed to provide a tougher challenge on this map — meet "KwaiBot". For the first time with the Legendary Asia map, we are also introducing two map-specific markers:
- A Mongolian Horse marker that indicates how many turns have been played in this game, a useful indicator for any player attempting to win the coveted "Faster than a Mongolian Horse" achievement for finishing the game in 24 turns or less
- A Blinking Cities marker that indicates how many cities are connected together via the player's largest route network, which, in Legendary Asia, is the key to winning a 10-point Asia Explorer bonus at game end
This latest release of Ticket to Ride iPad also brings a host of new (free) features, including:
- Full iOS Retina display implementation - all out-game UI elements have now been bumped up to Retina resolution for the new iPad
- A whopping 45 new achievements —
- 10 of those, the Conductors' achievements (represented by various Conductors' Hats and Pressure Gauges) reward the players for playing a large number of games and/or making high scores. These achievements now synchronize across iOS and Days of Wonder Online to reflect the number of games played online (Fun Fact: To date, 60 players have already played at least 20,000 games of Ticket to Ride each, thereby winning our highest, most time-consuming Conductor's Achievement)
- Another 15 achievements are specific to the standard US map and can be attempted by any player of the base game. Another 5 can be unlocked by playing various USA 1910 variants.
- And a final 15 brand new achievements have been designed specifically for the other maps (Europe, Swiss and the newly-released Legendary Asia)
Ticket to Ride Legendary Asia is available as an in-game purchase on the iPad and on Steam for $3.99/€2.99, and as an additional map for browser version players at www.daysofwonder.com.
About Days of Wonder
Days of Wonder develops and publishes games that Play different.™ From its insistence on releasing only a very limited number of new games to its uncompromising board game production values and unique in-house digital development team, Days of Wonder consistently raises the bar with an unmatched string of hits that includes Ticket to Ride, the world's best-selling train game; Small World, the legendary fantasy game of epic conquests; and Memoir '44, the World War II saga with 20 expansions to its credit. Days of Wonder board games are distributed in 30 countries, with digital versions available on the iOS App Store as well as on Steam and on Days of Wonder's web site: www.daysofwonder.com.
Days of Wonder, Ticket to Ride, Small World and Memoir '44 are all registered trademarks of Days of Wonder, Inc. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.