Days of Wonder Releases Small World 2 for iPad
After 3 years, one of the world's top independent fantasy board games gets an iPad sequel with new races, new expansions, real-time and asynchronous play, and Facebook integration
Los Altos, CA; Paris, France – September 12, 2013. Days of Wonder has officially released Small World 2 on the iPad, the sequel to their best-selling epic fantasy board game which has sold more than 650,000 copies worldwide across its physical and digital versions. The original Small World was one of the first board games developed for the iPad, launching on the same day as the first generation iPad over three years ago. Since then, Small World has built a significant digital fanbase, many of whom contributed to Days of Wonder's successful Kickstarter campaign to bring Small World 2 to Android and Steam.
"Small World is one of our favorite franchises, which is why we are excited to revisit that world on the iPad and bring on some much-requested improvements – particularly Online play, and a gameplay experience no longer limited to only 2 players," said Eric Hautemont, CEO of Days of Wonder. "We made a number of unconventional decisions to improve the game for Small World 2, the largest of which was turning to our fans for input. Their incredible feedback was instrumental in helping us develop a great sequel."
Small World 2 is bigger and better than its predecessor in every way:
- While the original Small World allowed two players to face off, Small World 2 now accommodates up to five players, with a different map for each player configuration, just like the board game.
- Small World 2 now supports all the play modes any board game fan could dream of. In addition to the original Solo and 2 player Face-to-face mode, up to 5 players can now compete in Pass'N'Play, Local Play over Bluetooth and Wifi, Quick real-time Online Play, and turn-based asynchronous Online Play with Buddies modes.
- To simultaneously give Small World 2 players the responsiveness of a real-time game and the convenience of a turn-based game, Days of Wonder developed a first-of-its-kind, dedicated server that combines the best of synchronous and asynchronous online play.
- More Races and Special Powers than ever. In addition to the original Cursed! and Grand Dames expansions, the incredibly popular "Be Not Afraid..." expansion is now also available as an In-App Purchase. Even better, all these new races and special powers can now be shared with anyone the player who owns them plays with Online under Days of Wonder's new Friendly Share policy.
In addition, Days of Wonder has released all new features never before available on the digital version of Small World:
- To make playing with friends online even easier, Small World 2 now has an extensive Game Center, Facebook and Days of Wonder Online Buddies integration. At a glance, players can see which friends own the game, which ones don't, and lets the player send the appropriate invitation to join their Online game.
- Small World 2 now features comprehensive documentation of every single race & special power featured in the game, as well as detailed explanations on even the most obscure rule point, courtesy of a whole new Small World Encyclopedia; as well as a brand new, specially designed for Small World 2, video tutorial to welcome new players into the lands of Small World.
- And for players with a competitive bent, Small World 2 also offers scores of ranking ladders, with daily, weekly and permanent rankings, in 2, 3, 4 and 5 player combinations, in Solo, Face-to-face and Online modes
Designed by Philippe Keyaerts as a fantasy follow-up to his award-winning Vinci™, Small World is inhabited by a zany cast of characters such as dwarves, wizards, amazons, giants, orcs and even humans, who use their troops to occupy territory and conquer adjacent lands in order to push the other races off the face of the earth. The game is available as an iOS game for iPad at https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/small-world-for-ipad/id364165557?mt=8
About Days of Wonder
Days of Wonder develops and publishes games that Play different.™ From its insistence on releasing only a very limited number of new games to its uncompromising board game production values and unique in-house digital development team, Days of Wonder consistently raises the bar with an unmatched string of hits that includes Ticket to Ride, the world's best-selling train game; Small World, the legendary fantasy game of epic conquests; and Memoir '44, the World War II saga with 20 expansions to its credit. Days of Wonder board games are distributed in 30 countries, with digital versions available on the iOS App Store and Google Play, as well as on Steam and on Days of Wonder's web site: www.daysofwonder.com.
Days of Wonder, Ticket to Ride, Small World, Memoir '44 are all trademarks or registered trademarks of Days of Wonder, Inc. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.