Five Tribes Five Tribes

Forums

Recherche
Forums » Memoir '44 - English » Three picks from the EP rulebook
Montrer: Messages du jour 
  
AuteurSujet
Zalamence
Senior Member
Ramener les gars à la maison

Pages Perso
Messages: 111
Enregistré(e) en :
June 2010
Three picks from the EP rulebook Sun, 25 November 2012 19:05
I read the rules of the Equipment Pack; a few questions arose.

Quote:

LCT 202

Landing Craft are treated like Armor for all purposes.

I would like to know what this means. The only thing they have in common is the movement restriction of the hedgehog, isn't it?
Quote:

Ski Troops

Ski Troops are Special Forces Infantry units. Place 3 Ski Troop figures in each hex of the scenario containing an Infantry unit symbol and a Ski Troop badge.

An ordered Ski Troop unit:

*May move up to 3 hexes and battle.
It rolls 3 dice in Close Assault an 2 dice against a target unit 2 hexes away.

*May battle when the unit moves onto terrain type (woods, towns, etc.) where standard Infantry could not battle. The unit must still stop and move no further in terrain that limits movement. Movement rules for a Ski Troops unit trump all terrain movement and battle rules.

*May retreat up to 3 hexes instead of the standard 1 on any flag rolled.

Similarly, what does the blue-coloured sentence stand for? Why is it written?
Quote:

M2 Mortar
Late War(> Late 1942)

*Battle: When it moves, an ordered Infantry unit with a mortar may battle any enemy ground unit three or fewer hexes away, rolling the same number of dice a standard Infantry would. If it did not move this turn, the Infantry with a mortar may also fire on a target 4 hexes away, rolling 1 die.It always ignores the terrain battle protections of its target.

I think this is unintented. Only when they stay still (ie. use mortar) they receive bonuses (ignore terrain protection and LoS, greater range)
      
stevens
Senior Member
Historien accompli

Pages Perso
Messages: 3064
Enregistré(e) en :
February 2007
Re:Three picks from the EP rulebook Sun, 25 November 2012 20:02
Zalamence wrote on Sun, 25 November 2012 13:05

I read the rules of the Equipment Pack; a few questions arose.

Quote:

LCT 202

Landing Craft are treated like Armor for all purposes.

I would like to know what this means. The only thing they have in common is the movement restriction of the hedgehog, isn't it?


http://static.memoir44.com/lang/english/images/mm_compendium_troop_15.jpg

This is probably just a MISPRINT!!!
And should not have appeared in the text anywhere. Good eye!


Quote:

Ski Troops

Ski Troops are Special Forces Infantry units. Place 3 Ski Troop figures in each hex of the scenario containing an Infantry unit symbol and a Ski Troop badge.

An ordered Ski Troop unit:

*May move up to 3 hexes and battle.
It rolls 3 dice in Close Assault an 2 dice against a target unit 2 hexes away.

*May battle when the unit moves onto terrain type (woods, towns, etc.) where standard Infantry could not battle. The unit must still stop and move no further in terrain that limits movement. Movement rules for a Ski Troops unit trump all terrain movement and battle rules.

*May retreat up to 3 hexes instead of the standard 1 on any flag rolled.
Similarly, what does the blue-coloured sentence stand for? Why is it written?



Actually they don't TRUMP all movement rules, as they must still stop and move no further in terrain that limits movement This is just more bad text as well I am sure. Another good catch!.

Quote:

M2 Mortar
Late War(> Late 1942)

*Battle: When it moves, an ordered Infantry unit with a mortar may battle any enemy ground unit three or fewer hexes away, rolling the same number of dice a standard Infantry would. If it did not move this turn, the Infantry with a mortar may also fire on a target 4 hexes away, rolling 1 die.It always ignores the terrain battle protections of its target.

I think this is unintented. Only when they stay still (ie. use mortar) they receive bonuses (ignore terrain protection and LoS, greater range)


http://cdn0.daysofwonder.com/memoir44/en/img/mm_compendium_swa_6.jpg

Yes, maybe not best to always say always, however this comment is in the CONTEXT of the paragraph describing when it does not move, so the inference is THAT WHEN IT DOES NOT MOVE .... it always ignores the terrain battle protections of its target.


      
sam1812
Senior Member
Brigadier General

Pages Perso
Messages: 2276
Enregistré(e) en :
August 2006
Re:Three picks from the EP rulebook Sun, 25 November 2012 20:27
Zalamence wrote on Sun, 25 November 2012 13:05

I read the rules of the Equipment Pack; a few questions arose.

Quote:

LCT 202

Landing Craft are treated like Armor for all purposes.

I would like to know what this means. The only thing they have in common is the movement restriction of the hedgehog, isn't it?


I suspect that line was intended to refer to Hobart's Funnies, which appear farther down the page.

In all the other sections of the rule book, I notice that the new units or nations are listed alphabetically. On that one page, the LCT 202 is listed above Hobart's Funnies. (Interstingly, the Hobart's Funnies rules are 2 lines longer than a full column. I couldn't help wondering if the different order was for typographic purposes.)
      
RBorg
Game Designer
Cadet

Pages Perso
Messages: 238
Enregistré(e) en :
December 2003
Re:Three picks from the EP rulebook Wed, 28 November 2012 22:31
The chief reason for the rule, Landing craft are treated like Armor for all purpose, is that like an armor unit, a landing craft movement has the same restrictions for the following terrain types; hedgehog, bunker, field bunker, fortress, marsh, mountain, cliff, sea bluff, road block, city ruins, dragon teeth, ravine, abates and beach.

Richard Borg
      
JFKoski
Senior Member
Historien accompli

Pages Perso
Messages: 603
Enregistré(e) en :
October 2005
Re:Three picks from the EP rulebook Thu, 29 November 2012 04:53
I see the reference cards for LC and L.W. Mortar has changed to reflect the rule clarifications. Are there any others updated?
      
sam1812
Senior Member
Brigadier General

Pages Perso
Messages: 2276
Enregistré(e) en :
August 2006
Re:Three picks from the EP rulebook Thu, 29 November 2012 05:38
RBorg wrote on Wed, 28 November 2012 16:31

The chief reason for the rule, Landing craft are treated like Armor for all purpose, is that like an armor unit, a landing craft movement has the same restrictions for the following terrain types; hedgehog, bunker, field bunker, fortress, marsh, mountain, cliff, sea bluff, road block, city ruins, dragon teeth, ravine, abates and beach.

Richard Borg

Does this mean that Landing Craft may now be ordered by Armor Assault?
      
Achtung Panzer
Senior Member
Leutnant

Pages Perso
Messages: 1075
Enregistré(e) en :
December 2007
Re:Three picks from the EP rulebook Thu, 29 November 2012 09:44
sam1812 wrote on Thu, 29 November 2012 04:38

RBorg wrote on Wed, 28 November 2012 16:31

The chief reason for the rule, Landing craft are treated like Armor for all purpose, is that like an armor unit, a landing craft movement has the same restrictions for the following terrain types; hedgehog, bunker, field bunker, fortress, marsh, mountain, cliff, sea bluff, road block, city ruins, dragon teeth, ravine, abates and beach.

Richard Borg

Does this mean that Landing Craft may now be ordered by Armor Assault?


No, because the stated similarity with armour refers to Movement. At least, that's my take on Richard's reply.
      
    
Sujet précédent:Stronget card of all - Out of Ammo?
Sujet suivant:M44 Belgian Open 2012
Aller au forum: