On the 7th of June, The 3rd Canadian Infantry Division approached of its objective : the Carpiquet airfield. Vanguard units crossing the hamlet of Franqueville had a direct view on the buildings of the airfield but they were stopped suddenly. A tremendous fire from hidden antitank guns and machine guns reached them and the Canadians were repulsed far away from Authie by a violent counter-attack of Waffen-SS of the 12.SS PanzerDivision "Hitlerjugend" arriving on the battlefield at forced march. On the left flank, 7th Canadian Brigade had liberated Bretteville l'Orgueilleuse and reached the farm and the factory of Cardonville, but they were stopped as well by SS units. During the night 8th to 9th of June, SS soldiers launched an armored counter-attack with the aim to recapture Bretteville but a Canadian battalion entrenched in the city resisted strongly and the SS attack failed. However, the Canadian advance from Juno Beach was definitively stopped, Carpiquet airfield was captured by the Canadian Division not before the beginning of July.
The stage is set, the battle lines are drawn, and you are in command. The rest is history.
Axis player [Germany] : 8 command cards.
Allied player [Canada] : 8 command cards, you move first.
Conditions of Victory:
The main hexagon of Carpiquet airfield and the village of Putot en Bessin are each a temporary medal objective for the Allied player.
Cardonville factory and the church of Bretteville l'Orgueilleuse are each a temporary medal objective for the Axis player.
- Use "BCF Command" rules (Nations 5) to all Allied units.
- Use "Specialized Units" rules (Troops 2) to all Axis infantry units. Badges are not required.
- Special Weapon Asset rules (SWAs 4 - Special Weapon Assets) are in effect for the Axis units equipped with Anti Tank Weapons (SWAs 5 - Anti Tank Weapons Late War).
- Use "Air Strikes & Blitz" rules (Actions 3) to the Allied player.
- Album mémorial Overlord - Jour J en Normandie - Ed. Heimdal.
- Magazine Historica n°23 - Les Canadiens face à la Hitlerjugend.
- "Mourir à Caen" - Albert Pipet.
- Album historique - 12.SS PanzerDivision "Hitlerjugend" - Ed. Heimdal.
Remember, see the Ardenne abbey and the place of the execution of Canadian prisoners.
Please note that this scenario was not approved by Richard Borg or Days of Wonder, so you have to check yourself about playability, potential gaming issues, etc.