On the 19th of August 1942, two companies of the 5th Marines Regiment attacked Matanikau village while a third company landed near Kokumbona village. Whereas "B" coy advanced to the mouth of the Matanikau river in order to create a diversion, "L" coy crossed the river 1000 meters upstream then went back to the mouth along the west bank. US Marines repelled several "Banzaï" charges of Japanese soldiers then cleaned up the village. The two companies were then joined by "I" coy arriving from Kokumbona once this village was captured. At that time, the three companies withdrew to Lunga Point and the US defensive perimeter around Henderson Field.
The stage is set, the battle lines are drawn, and you are in command. The rest is history.
Axis player [Japan] : 5 command cards.
Allied player [US Marine Corps] : 6 command cards, you move first.
Conditions of Victory:
The central hex of the Matanikau village is a temporary medal objective for the Allied player.
- Use "Japanese Imperial Army" rules (Nations 3).
- Use "US Marine Corps" rules (Nations 4) to all Allied units. Badges are not required.
- Special Weapon Asset rules (SWAs 4 - Special Weapon Assets) are in effect for the units equipped with machine guns (SWAs 7 - Machine Gun Late War).
- Use "Fordable streams" rules for the Matanikau river (Terrain 61).
- Magazine Seconde Guerre mondiale thématique n°5 - la campagne de Guadalcanal.
- "Guadalcanal : The first offensive" - John Miller Jr.
Please note that this scenario was not approved by Richard Borg or Days of Wonder, so you have to check yourself about playability, potential gaming issues, etc.