After several weeks of unsuccessful Soviet attacks in the Taipale sector, Mannerheim Line,a new attack was planned in the last week of December by the Soviet 4th Rifle Division. In the morning of 25th of December, under the cover of darkness and dense snowfall, Soviet infantrymen crossed the frozen and narrow Suvanto Lake. Three bridgeheads were established by surprise in front of Kelja, Volossula and near the Patoniemi fort. But the Finnish reacted quickly and opened fire with machine-guns and artillery pieces. Finnish reserve units advanced from the rear to support first line units. The battle lasted until 27th of December and ended by a full Finnish victory : all Soviet bridgeheads were destroyed. Finnish observers reported "... the ice is littered with piles of bodies...".
The stage is set, the battle lines are drawn, and you are in command. The rest is history.
Axis player [Finland] : 5 command cards.
Allied player [Soviet Union] : 5 command cards, you move first.
Conditions of Victory:
- Use "Red Army" rules (Nation 2) to the Allied player.
- Use "Skis Troops" rules (Troop 9) to the four Axis units with badges.
- Special Weapon Asset rules (SWAs 1 - Special Weapon Assets) are in effect for the units equipped with machine guns (SWAs 8 - Machine Gun).
- Use "Frozen River" rules (Terrains 47) to the Suvanto lake.
- Use "Reduced Visibility" rules (Actions 27).
- "Air Strike" card is withdrawn before beginning the game.
- 39/45 Magazine n°139 - La guerre d'hiver.
Remember, see the remains of Mannerheim Line bunkers in the Taipale area.
Please note that this scenario was not approved by Richard Borg or Days of Wonder, so you have to check yourself about playability, potential gaming issues, etc.