There are problems with this scenario: it cannot be set-up using the standard terrain tiles of Memoir '44 and the selected extensions. There are too many terrains of one or more types. Please contact the author.
After the battle of Allam Halfa in September 1942, Rommel's army was to weak to win the British and stayed on defensive positions in front of El Alamein. British General Montgomery reorganized the 8th Army by reinforcing it with US tanks and supply. The aim of his offensive was to attack first with infantry divisions of the 30th Army Corps and then to launch the armored divisions of the 10th Army Corps in the gap to exploit the breakthrough. The British offensive began on the night of 23rd of October 1942 with a strong artillery bombardment then by the assault of the infantry. Rommel, turned back from Germany to El Alamein at the beginning of the battle, counter-attacked with his panzers to close the gap but on the 2nd of November, knowing that his army was decimated, decided to withdraw in order to save the rest of the German-Italian army. Montgomery had win the battle of El Alamein. After this victory, Winston Churchill said in the Parliament in London : "This is not the end, it is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning".
The stage is set, the battle lines are drawn, and you are in command. The rest is history.
Axis player [Germany/Italy] : 8 command cards.
Allied player [United-Kingdom] : 10 command cards, you move first.
Caution : The 88 gun with a battle star should be placed on the adjacent 1/2 hex on the joint of the two boards (don't install the battle star on the board).
Conditions of Victory:
- For the Allied player, Exit markers are in effect on all hexes of the Axis baseline.
- The bunker of Thompson Post and the hexagon with the 88 gun of Tel El Aqqaqir are each a temporary medal objective for the Allied player.
- Use "BCF Command" rules (Nations 5).
- Use "Royal Italian Army" rules (Nations 6) to Axis units with Italian badge.
- Use "Combat Engineers" rules (Troops 4) to the four Allied infantry units with badges.
- Use "Heavy Anti-tank Guns" rules (Troops 23) to the three Axis artillery unit with "88" badge.
- Use "Air Strike" rules (Actions 3) to the Allied player.
- Use "North African Desert" rules (Actions 9).
- Use "Oasis Recovery" rules (Actions 10).
- The Axis player lays out the minefields (Terrains 29).
- Magazine Historica hors-série n°85 - Victoire dans le désert.
- Atlas de la Seconde Guerre Mondiale - El Alamein.
Please note that this scenario was not approved by Richard Borg or Days of Wonder, so you have to check yourself about playability, potential gaming issues, etc.