22nd of June 1941 - Brest-Litovsk.
At 03h15, operation "Barbarossa" begun, German armies massed to the border rushed on USSR. The city of Brest-Litovsk as one of the first objective and more particularly the fortress which defend the crosses of the Bug river. The German 45th Infantry Division was in charge to seize the old fortress. Supported by heavy artillery fire, infantrymen and engineers assaulted the walls but the Russians soldiers resisted heroically during several days. German troops suffered heavy losses but seize gradually the fortress with the support of flame throwers, dive bombers (Stukas) and very heavy artillery (600mm mortar). On the 8th of July, 45th ID announced that the whole fortress was in German hands, but in fact some Russian soldiers resisted until the end of July in fighting to the death rather than to surrender.
The stage is set, the battle lines are drawn, and you are in command. The rest is history.
Axis player [Germany] : 6 command cards, you move first.
Allied player [Russia] : 5 command cards.
Conditions of Victory:
Axis player : Seize the hex with the medal token.
Allied player : 6 medals.
- Use "Blitz" rules (Action 15).
- Use "Red Army" rules (Nation 2)
- Use "Big Guns" for the German artillery with a badge (Troop 3).
- Use "Combat Engineers" rules for the 3 Pioneer units (Troop 4).
- Bug is impassable except by bridges Terrain 8.
- "Air Power" card is not allowed to the Allied player. Discard it and take another from the pile.
- "Opération Barbarossa" - Paul Carell.
- Album historique - Opération Barbarossa - Ed. Heimdal.
- 39-45 Magazine n°119 - Article "La forteresse de Brest-Litovsk".
Please note that this scenario was not approved by Richard Borg or Days of Wonder, so you have to check yourself about playability, potential gaming issues, etc.