Just before the beginning of operation Lightfoot, 1st Free French Brigade, now famous because of its heroic resistance at Bir Hakeim, was in line on the south of El Alamein front, near the Qattara depression. General Montgomery asked for a diversion attack in the south to deceive the enemy. So, the French was in charge to attack Naqb Rala plateau, around the rock El Himeimat. The attack was made by two battalions of Foreign Legion under the command of Ltc Amilakvari, in the night 23rd to 24th of October 1942, after a movement on foot of 15 kms. First, engineers opened ways in minefields. 1st battalion attacked on the right but a violent defensive fire obliged him to retreat. 2nd battalion on the left, captured the Italian first lines by close combat. But with the morning light, an armored counter-attack made by Kampfgruppe Keil and Italian paratroopers of "Folgore" Division repelled the 2nd battalion which had no antitank weapons. During the withdrawing, Ltc Amilakvari, a figure of the Legion, was killed by the enemy artillery fire. The diversion attack at El Himeimat made easier the main offensive of Monty in the north but for Free French, the human cost was heavy.
The stage is set, the battle lines are drawn, and you are in command. The rest is history.
Allied player [Free French]: 5 command cards, you move first.
Axis player [Italy/Germany] : 4 command cards.
Conditions of Victory:
- Use "North African Desert" rules (Action 9).
- Use "Night Attacks" rules (Action 19).
- Use "Royal Italian Army" rules (Nation 6) for all Axis infantry units and the Axis artillery unit.
- Use "Combat Engineers" rules for Allied units with badge (Troupes 4).
- Allied "Colonne volante" has 4 figures, it can't move before full daylight.
- Use "Specialized Units" rules for the Axis units with badge (Troupes 2).
- Axis reinforcements : As soon as the daylight is full, 2 panzer units and 2 specialized infantry units "Folgore" may enter in any section. These units enter the game by activation of a command card.
- Magazine Ligne de Front n°8 - Qaret El Himeimat.
- Magazine Troupes d'élite n°6 - Le prince de la Légion meurt à El Alamein.
- "La Légion au combat" - Erwan Bergot.
Official scenario of FFM44. Played during the tournament in Cergy Pontoise on the 3rd of July 2010.
Please note that this scenario was not approved by Richard Borg or Days of Wonder, so you have to check yourself about playability, potential gaming issues, etc.