07th of December 1939 - Central Carelia.
163rd Soviet Division had captured the Suomusalmi village by advancing on the north of Lake Kianta. Finnish troops, well equipped to fight in winter conditions took advantage of the very bad weather to harass Russian troops.The 44th Soviet Rifle Division sent to rescue the 163rd was stopped in its advance. Finnish troops, mobiles and aggressives, using skis for their movement and Molotov Cocktail attacks, counter-attacked the two Soviets divisions and gradually destroyed them.
The stage is set, the battle lines are drawn, and you are in command. The rest is history.
Axis player [Finland] : 6 command cards, you move first.
Allied player [Soviet Union] : 6 command cards.
Conditions of Victory:
- Use "Red Army" rules (Nation 2).
- Use "Finnish Ski Troops" rules for Allied units with badges (Troop 9).
- Use "Sniper" rules for the 3 Finnish units with single figure (Troop 10).
- Use "Camouflage" rules for all the Axis units (Action 16).
- Use "Frozen River" rules for the river and lake Kianta (Terrain 47).
- Do not use "Air Power" card for any player.
- "La Seconde Guerre mondiale" - Tome 1 - Ed. Larousse.
- Atlas de la Seconde Guerre mondiale - Ed. France Loisirs.
- 39-45 Magazine n°139 - La guerre d'hiver.
Official scenario of FFM44. Played during the tournament at Nantes on the 07th of November 2010.
Please note that this scenario was not approved by Richard Borg or Days of Wonder, so you have to check yourself about playability, potential gaming issues, etc.