On the 9th of September 1943, Vth US Army landed in Salerno bay with one British Army Corps and one US Army Corps. the 10th British Army Corps was composed of two divisions : 46th Infantry Division had the mission to capture Salerno city and to make the junction with commandos on the west flank, and 56th Infantry Division which had the mission to capture Montecorvino airfield and Battipaglia village. But German 16.Panzer Division was already on the spot and engaged British units as soon as they landed. These units needed the support of naval artillery fire to reach their objectives. At the end of the day, Salerno was occupied by the 46th and Montecorvino airfield by the 56th but not usable because under German artillery fire. The landing was a success but the battle was only beginning.
The stage is set, the battle lines are drawn, and you are in command. The rest is history.
Allied player [United Kingdom] : 5 command cards, you move first.
Axis player [Germany] : 4 command cards.
Conditions of Victory:
6 medals. Salerno's church and the main hex of the airfield are each a temporary medal objective for the Allied player.
- Use "BCF Command" rules [Nation 5) for all Allied units.
- Use "Specialized units" rules (Troop 2) for the two Axis units with Elite badges.
- Use "Destroyers" rules (Troop 12) for HMS Uganda.
- Use "Mobile Artillery" rules (Troop 14) for the Allied artillery unit.
- Use "Night Attacks" rules (Action 19).
- Militaria Magazine hors-série n°41 - Débarquer à Salerne !
- Magazine Images de Guerre n°23 - Opération Avalanche.
- Magazine 2ème Guerre Mondiale n°18 - De Salerne à Cassino.
Official scenario of FFM44. Played during the tournament in Cergy Pontoise on the 26th of September 2009.
Please note that this scenario was not approved by Richard Borg or Days of Wonder, so you have to check yourself about playability, potential gaming issues, etc.