During operation "Avalanche", the 36th DI US landed in the gulf of Salerne in front of the roman antic city of Paestum. But the Germans were aware of the landing and 16th Panzer Division was waiting in the area. Because of no Allied artillery fire before the landing, the Germans units stayed at full strength and the inexperienced GI's were pinned down on the beach by the enemy fire. However, during the day, the GI's succeeded to advance and to repulse the German counter-attacks. At the end of the day, the US landing was a success but the US bridgehead stayed separate from the British one, some kilometers far on its left.
The stage is set, the battle lines are drawn, and you are in command. The rest is history.
Allied player [United States] : 5 command cards, you move first.
Axis player [Germany] : 4 command cards.
Conditions of Victory:
6 medals. Hex of Paestum with a medal token is a temporary medal objective for the Allied player.
- Use "Night Attacks" rules (Action 19).
- Use "Specialized Units" rules for the Axis unit with "Elite" badge (Troop 2).
- Use "Destroyer" rules for USS Savannah (Troupes 12).
- Use "Mobile Artillery" rules for Allied artillery unit with badge (Troop 14).
- Sele river is impassable except by the bridge (Terrains 8).
- Militaria Magazine hors-série n°41 - Débarquer à Salerne !
- Magazine Images de Guerre n°23 - Opération Avalanche.
- Magazine 2ème Guerre Mondiale n°18 - De Salerne à Cassino.
Please note that this scenario was not approved by Richard Borg or Days of Wonder, so you have to check yourself about playability, potential gaming issues, etc.