On the 09th of September 1943, operation Avalanche was launched, Vth US Army landed in Salerne bay with three assault divisions : 46th and 56th British Infantry Divisions, and 36th US Infantry Division. The landing was made in the darkness of the night and the US and British bridgeheads were separated by some kilometers and by the Sele river. In front of them, 16.Panzer Division was already deployed because the Germans were informed of the landing before the operation. The battle was hard on the beaches and Allied troops had to repelled armored counter-attacks as they were still on the sand. At the end of the day, British troops were in Salerne city and captured Montecorvino airfield, US troops were in Paestum and seized all their objectives. But the bridgeheads were fragile and the battle only began.
The stage is set, the battle lines are drawn, and you are in command. The rest is history.
Allied player [USA/United Kingdom] : 10 command cards, you move first.
Axis player [Germany] : 8 command cards.
Conditions of Victory:
Axis player : 12 medals
Allied player : 12 medals with at least 1 medal token. Montecorvino airfield, Salerne church and the hex of Paestum with a medal token are a temporary medal objective for the Allied player.
- Use "Specialized units" rules (Troop 2) for the Axis units with Elite badge.
- Use "BCF Command" rules (Nation 5) for all British units.
- Use "Mobile Artillery" rules (Troop 14) to the Allied artillery units.
- Use "Destroyers" rules (Troop 12) for HMS Uganda and USS Savannah.
- Use "Night Attacks" rules (Action 19).
- Sele river is impassable except by the bridge (Terrain 8).
- Militaria Magazine hors-série n°41 - Débarquer à Salerne !
- Magazine Images de Guerre n°23 - Opération Avalanche.
- Magazine 2ème Guerre Mondiale n°18 - De Salerne à Cassino.
Please note that this scenario was not approved by Richard Borg or Days of Wonder, so you have to check yourself about playability, potential gaming issues, etc.