Hill 107 and Maleme airfield were in German hands since 21st May and reinforcements could land on the airfield. General Freyberg, head of the allied "Creforce", ordered a counter-attack to recapture the airfield. Two battalions, 20th New Zealand Battalion and 28th Maori Battalion, supported by three British tanks, attacked during the night of 21st to 22nd May. But the German paratroopers had reinforced their defensive positions, in particular the cemetery of Maleme.The Allied assault marked time because of an effective defense and with the daylight, the Luftwafe could intervene against enemy tanks. Losses were heavy on both sides but the counter-attack had failed, German reinforcement could continue to land on the Maleme airfield.
The stage is set, the battle lines are drawn, and you are in command. The rest is history.
Allied player [New Zealand] : 5 command cards, you move first.
Axis player[Germany] : 4 command cards.
Conditions of Victory:
For the Allied player : Maleme airfield is a permanent medal objective and the "Exit" marker is in effect on the road hexagon "vers Tavronitis".
- All Axis units are paratroopers, use "Specialized Units" rules (Troop 2). Badges are not required.
- Use "BCF Command" rules (Nation 5) for the British troops only.
- Use "Blitz" rules (Action 15).
- Use "Night Attack" rules (Action 19).
- "Air Power" card is not allowed to the Allied player. Discard it and take another.
- "Barrage" card is not allowed to the Axis player. Discard it and take another.
- "La Crète, tombeau des paras allemands" - Jean Mabire.
- "Les parachutistes une arme d'élite" - Ed. Marabout.
- Wikipedia - Battle of Crete.
Official scenario of FFM44. Played during the tournament at Nantes on the 07th of November 2010.
Please note that this scenario was not approved by Richard Borg or Days of Wonder, so you have to check yourself about playability, potential gaming issues, etc.