February 1941, 3rd battalion of Free French Forces was integrated in the 7th Indian Brigade during the Eritrea campaign against Italian troops of Duke of Aoste. On the 19th of February, Allied troops advancing toward Keren were stopped by roadblocks and minefields at Cub-Cub and ambushed by 112th Italian battalion entrenched on a hill fortress. On the 20th of February, Free French troops took the Italian fort from the rear and fought in close combat. Italians soldiers turned out artillery pieces and continued to fight fiercely, the battle raged until the night. On the 21st of February, the battle took up again with the same severity but the Italian fort surrendered during the day. The way to Keren was open !
The stage is set, the battle lines are drawn, and you are in command. The rest is history !
Allied player [Free French] : 6 command cards, you move first.
Axis player [Italy] : 6 command cards.
Conditions of Victory:
The artillery hex of the fort is a permanent medal objective for the Allied player.
- Use "Royal Italian Army" rules (Nations 6) to all Axis units, badges are not required.
- Use "French Army" rules (Nations 7).
- Use "Field Bunkers" rules (Terrain 22) and "Abattis" rules (Terrain 66).
- The Axis player lays out the minefields (Terrain 29).
- Sandbags of the Italian fort represent stone walls, they are permanents. Each unit is shielded of the fire coming from the other side of the wall. Use "Sandbags" rules (Terrain 10).
- 39/45 Magazine - FFL - Combats de l'espoir.
- Magazine Ligne de Front hors-série n°9 - FFL - Les heures de gloire.
Please note that this scenario was not approved by Richard Borg or Days of Wonder, so you have to check yourself about playability, potential gaming issues, etc.