During the night of 12th to 13th of October 1943, 5th US Army under the command of general Mark Clark attacked the "Winterstellung" on Volturno river. 56th British Infantry Division (from 10th British Army Corps) was in charge to capture the city of Capua and to cross the river. The very hard resistance of German 15.PanzerGrenadier Division stopped the British attack inflicting the loss of about 10 assault boats during the attempt to cross the Volturno river. But with the successful breakthrough of the 6th US Army Corps on the right hand, British units could made a detour by crossing the Volturno on a US pontoon bridge near Triflisco and then attacked the German defense from the rear. At that time, the Volturno line was definitively broken.
The stage is set, the battle lines are drawn, and you are in command. The rest is history.
Allied player [United Kingdom] : 6 command cards, you move first.
Axis player [Germany] : 5 command cards.
Conditions of Victory:
Capua is a temporary medal objective for the Allied player.
- Use "BCF Command" rules (Nation 5) to all Allied units.
- Use "Specialized Units" rules (Troop 2) to Axis infantry units with elite badge.
- The Axis player lays out the minefields (Terrain 29).
- Use "Collapsible Rafts and Boats" rules (Action 5) to all Allied infantry units.
- Use "Night Attacks" rules (Action 19).
- If you have the "Campaign Book" expansion, use "Smoke Screen" rules (Action 21) for the Allied player.
- Militaria Magazine hors-série n°43 - Premiers pas en Italie.
- La 2ème Guerre mondiale au jour le jour - 13 octobre 1943.
Please note that this scenario was not approved by Richard Borg or Days of Wonder, so you have to check yourself about playability, potential gaming issues, etc.