After the exit of the Salerno bridgehead, Allied units of the 5th US Army reached the south bank of the Volturno river at the beginning of October 1943, this river was the German defense line called "Winterstellung". 10th British Army Corps was on left hand and 6th US Army Corps was on right hand. To the joint of the two Allied army corps, 56th British Infantry Division faced to Capua and German units of the 15.PanzerGrenadier Division and 3rd US Infantry Division was in front of Piana di Caiazzo and Monte Majulo defended by units of Panzer Division "Hermann Goering". The crossing of Volturno river was made during the night 12th to 13th of October : US infantrymen gave several bridgeheads on the north bank of the river while British infantrymen were stopped in their attempt to capture Capua because of a very hard German defense in this sector. Finally, the day after, 56th British Infantry Division could made a detour on the right, using a pontoon bridge built by US engineers near Triflisco and could attack German defense on the rear of Capua.
The stage is set, the battle lines are drawn, and you are in command. The rest is history.
Allied player [United States/United Kingdom] : 12 command cards, you move first.
Axis player [Germany] : 10 command cards.
Conditions of Victory:
Capua and Monte Majulo are each a temporary medal objective for the Allied player.
- Use "BCF Command" rules (Nation 5) to all Allied units.
- Use "Specialized Units" rules (Troop 2) to Axis infantry units with elite badge.
- The Axis player lays out the minefields (Terrain 29).
- Use "Pontoon Bridge" rules (Terrain 33).
- Use "Collapsible Rafts and Boats" rules (Action 5) to all Allied infantry units.
- Use "Night Attacks" rules (Action 19).
- If you have the "Campaign Book" expansion, use "Smoke Screen" rules (Action 21) for the Allied player.
- Air rules are optional : If used, give an "Air Sortie" card to each player team. Use at that time "Spitfire" and "Me 109".
- "L'enfer des hommes" - p 33 & 46 - A. Murphy.
- Militaria Magazine hors-série n°43 - Premiers pas en Italie.
- "La 2ème guerre mondiale au jour le jour" - 13 octobre 1943.
Please note that this scenario was not approved by Richard Borg or Days of Wonder, so you have to check yourself about playability, potential gaming issues, etc.