On the 10th of July 1943, during operation Husky (Allied landing in Sicily), the harbour of Gela was captured by US Rangers units while the 1st US Infantry Division (the Big Red One) landed on the beaches around the city. Axis reacted quickly and Italian general Guzzoni sent at once troops against the US beach head. At 09h00, the Italian Mobile Group "E", equipped with French R-35 tanks, made a counter-attack against landed troops,followed by infantrymen of the "Livorno" division. The Italian attack was a menace for the US supplies depots created on the landing beaches and in the harbour. The battle was fierce all the day and ended in a street fighting where US Rangers destroyed several Italian tanks with bazookas and grenades. In the same time the fire of the US Navy inflicted heavy losses to the Italian troops in the open ground. The counter-attack failed, Italian troops withdrew. Gela stayed in US Rangers hands.
The stage is set, the battle lines are drawn, and you are in command. The rest is history.
Axis player [Italy] : 5 command cards, you move first.
Allied player [United States] : 6 command cards.
Conditions of Victory:
The two supply depots are each a permanent medal objective for the Axis player.
- Use "Royal Italian Army" rules (Nation 6) to all Axis units. Badges are not required.
- Use "Specialized Units" rules (Troop 2) to the three US Rangers units and to the US Airborne unit.
- Use "Destroyers" rules (Troop 12).
- Militaria Magazine hors-série n°33 - Débarquement en Sicile.
- "La Sicile, débarquement surprise" - M. Blumenson - Ed. Marabout.
Please note that this scenario was not approved by Richard Borg or Days of Wonder, so you have to check yourself about playability, potential gaming issues, etc.