Summer 1942, 8th British Army was on El Alamein line, last defense line before Alexandrie and the Suez Canal. The British high command decided to launch some commandos raids behind the enemy lines to weaken Axis forces before the next Rommel's offensive. One of these raids was called Operation Daffodil and was a mixed ground/amphibious attack of Tobruk in order to destroy the Axis petrol stock, needed by Rommel's panzers. This was a very complex operation where SAS commandos entered in the Tobruk fortified area from the desert to destroy enemy coastal batteries while 11th Royal Marine Battalion landed north of the city and 1st Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders Battalion landed on the west of the harbour. This operation was a setback for the British because of the action of 3rd Battalion "San Marco", an elite Italian unit just arrived in Tobruk. British losses were near 750 men and several ships of the Royal Navy sunk while Axis troops suffered less than 100 losses.
The stage is set, the battle lines are drawn, and you are in command. The rest is history.
Allied player [United-Kingdom] : 5 command cards, you move first.
Axis player [Italy] : 6 command cards.
Conditions of Victory:
Destroying the supply depot is a permanent medal objective for the Allied player.
- Use "BCF Command" rules (Nation 5) to all Allied units.
- Use "Royal Italian Army" rules (Nation 6) to all Axis units.
- Use "Specialized Units" rules (Troop 2) to the two British SAS units, to the three British Royal Marines and to the three "San Marco" Italian elite units.
- Use "Destroyer" rules (Troop 12).
- Use "Sabotage" rules (Action 6). Only one "star" result is needed to destroy the supply depot.
- Use "Night Attacks" rules (Action 19).
- "Les commandos du désert" - J. Bourdier.
- "Les raiders, patrouilleurs du désert" - A. Swinson - Ed. Marabout.
Please note that this scenario was not approved by Richard Borg or Days of Wonder, so you have to check yourself about playability, potential gaming issues, etc.