After the failure of the airborne raid to capture Primosole bridge, British troops were in the obligation to launch classical attacks based on artillery support and infantry and armor assaults to cross the Simeto river. 151st Durham Light Infantry Brigade, supported by tanks of 44th RTR was in charge of this operation. The two following attacks were repelled with heavy losses and it was only with the third one and an intensive artillery support than British troops could capture the northern part of the bridge. But at that time, the decimated Axis troops had withdrawn on a new defense line, four kilometers away : "Fosso Buttaceto".
The stage is set, the battlelines are drawn, and you are in command. The rest is history.
Allied player [United Kingdom] : 6 command cards, you move first.
Axis player [Germany] : 6 command cards.
Conditions of Victory:
For the Allied player, use "Exit" token rules to the hex "vers Catane".
- Use "BCF Command" rules (Nations 5) to all Allied units.
- Use "Specialized Units" rules (Troops 2) to all units. Badges are not required.
- Special Asset Weapon rules (SWAs 4 - Special Weapon Assets) are in effect for the Axis units equipped with Anti-Tank weapons (SWAs 5 - Anti-Tank Gun Late War).
- Use "Heavy Anti-Tank Guns" rules (Troops 23) to the Axis artillery battery.
- Simeto river is impassable (Terrains 8) except by the bridge and fords.
- Bunkers are field bunkers (Terrains 22).
- Militaria Magazine hors-série n°36 - Objectif Messine.
- "La Sicile, débarquement surprise" - M.Blumenson - Ed. Marabout.
Remember, see the Commonwealth war graves at Catane and several memorials (151st DLI Brigade, "ai caduti di tutti le nazionalità", 10th Berkshire Rgt) in the vicinity of Primosole bridge.
Official scenario of the FFM44, played in the Memoir'44 tournament in Paris on the 13th of October 2012.
Please note that this scenario was not approved by Richard Borg or Days of Wonder, so you have to check yourself about playability, potential gaming issues, etc.