On the 11th of July, Panzer Division "Hermann Göring" launched a counter-attack with three armored columns toward the US bridgehead of Gela. One column was from Biscari and composed by one Panzergrenadier battalion, one armored artillery battalion and one Tiger tanks company, arrived at Ponte Dirillo. A battle began between the German column and the US paratroopers of colonel Gavin and infantrymen of the 45th Infantry Division. During the battle, a Tiger tank was destroyed by a simple airborne artillery piece of 75mm, then the providential arrival of some Shermans tanks gave the victory to the Allies. In spite of heavy losses, US infantrymen held out their positions and prevent the enemy to advance toward Gela.
The stage is set, the battle lines are drawn, and you are in command. The rest is history.
Allied player [United States] : 6 command cards.
Axis player [Germany] : 5 command cards, you move first.
Conditions of Victory:
For the Axis player, use "Exit" token rules to the hex "vers Gela".
- Use "Specialized Units" rules (Troops 2) to all Axis units and the US paratrooper unit. Badges are not required for the Axis units.
- Use "Mobile Artillery" rules (Troops 14) to the Axis artillery unit.
- Use "Tiger" rules (Troops 16) to the two Axis tank units with a single figure.
- Use "Half-Tracks" rules (Troops 18) to the two Axis units with HT badge.
- Special Weapon Asset Rules (SWAs 4 - Special Weapon Assets) are in effect for Allied units equipped with bazookas (SWAs 5 - Anti-Tank Gun Late War).
- Although bunkers were Italians, Allied troops can entered and used them (Terrains 2).
- Use "Fordable Stream" rules (Terrains 61).
- Magazine 2ème Guerre mondiale thématigne n°19 - la Panzer Division Hermann Göring en Italie.
- Militaria Magazine hors-série n°36 - Objectif Messine.
- "La Sicile, débarquement surprise" - M. Blumenson - Ed. Marabout.
Remember, see the memorial of the 82nd US Airborne at Ponte Dirillo.
Please note that this scenario was not approved by Richard Borg or Days of Wonder, so you have to check yourself about playability, potential gaming issues, etc.