While 8th British Army stayed blocked in front of Catane, the 7th US Army advanced on the north and center of Sicily. It was suddenly stopped by the Etna line built under the command of German general Hube. The village of Troina, set high up in the Sicilian mountains and pivot of the defensive line, was the place of the hardest battle for US troops in Sicily. One week of intense fighting and air bombing was necessary for the GIs of 1st US ID (the Big Red One) and 9th US ID, with the support of French troops (4th Moroccan Tabor) to capture Troina, cleverly defended by troops of the German 15. PanzerGrenadier Division and Italian 28th Infantry Division "Aosta". From 1st to 05th of August 1943, the enemy artillery and the continuous Axis counter-attacks prevented US troops to advance in the mountains. After the 05th of August, decimated and exhausted, the Axis units left Troina and withdrew on a new defense line around Cesaro.
The stage is set, the battle lines are drawn, and you are in command. The rest is history.
Allied player [United States/France] : 6 command cards, you move first.
Axis player [Germany/Italy] : 5 command cards.
Conditions of Victory:
Monte Acuto and the church of Troina are each a temporary medal objective for the Allied player.
- Use "Royal Italian Army" rules (Nations 6) to the three units with Italian badges.
- Use "Specialized Units" rules (Troops 2) to the two Moroccan Tabor units and to the two panzergrenadiers units (with badge).
- Troina is on the top of a hill.
- The Axis player lays out the minefields (Terrains 29).
- Use "Mountain" rules (Terrains 30) particularly for artillery.
- Special Weapon Asset Rules (SWAs 4 - Special Weapon Assets) are in effect for the Axis unit equipped with mortor (SWAs 6 - Mortar Late War).
- Use "Air strikes & Blitz" rules (Actions 3) for the Allied player.
- Militaria Magazine hors-série n°36 - Objectif Messine.
- "La Sicile, débarquement surprise" - M. Blumenson - Ed. Marabout.
- Wikipedia - Battle of Troina.
Official scenario of the FFM44, played in the Memoir'44 tournament in Paris on the 13th of October 2012.
Please note that this scenario was not approved by Richard Borg or Days of Wonder, so you have to check yourself about playability, potential gaming issues, etc.