On august 7 the Chinese Nationalist Defense Council decides to fight an all out war against the Japanese. In an attempt to consolidate their positions they ordered the 36th, 87th and 88th Divisions to attack the Japanese strongholds in Shanghai. On August 13th the 88th division pushed in close to Shanghai, trying to occupy a number of key localities such as the Chih Chih University, the Wu Chow cemetery, Pa-tsu Bridge and the Pao-Shan bridge. Many casualties were sustained, among them Brigade Commander Huang Mei-hsing who had led from the front. By nightfall all the key positions were in Chinese hands, and the Japanese retreated to their positions closer to the the Huang Pu river.
Chinese Player takes 5 command cards - you go first.
Japanese Player takes 5 command cards.
Conditions of Victory:
- The two bridges, the university and the cemetery are all temporary victory locations worth 1 victory medal each to the Chinese player.
- Do not reshuffle when Their Finest Hour is played. If the last card is drawn from the pile the game ends and the Japanese player wins immediately.
- The Pa-Tsu river is fordable by infantry only (Terrain 41 - Fordable Rivers), Pao Shan River, including the river junction, is a normal river.
- The Chinese infantry unit with a star includes Brigade Commander Huang Mei-hsing (Action Card 8 - Heroic Leader)
- All clear hexes are considered road hexes as are both bridges (Terrain 42)
Long-hsuen, Hsu; Chang Ming-kai (1972). History of the Sino-Japanese war (1937?1945). pg.201-203 + Map 7
Please note that this scenario was not approved by Richard Borg or Days of Wonder, so you have to check yourself about playability, potential gaming issues, etc.