While the XIIIth British Corps was stopped in front of Catane, Montgomery ordered the 1st Canadian Division to advance by the center of Sicily. After the capture of Leonforte and Assoro, the Canadians soldiers under the command of general Simonds,attacked Nissoria which was hardly defended by German Kampfgruppe Ens from the 15.PanzerGrenadier Division and an Italian tactical group of Division Livorno. The capture of Nissoria opened the road to the city of Agira. The battle lasted five days and was the most important battle for the Canadians during the Sicily campaign. General Simonds used at least seven artillery regiments to weaken the Axis defense of the mountain city. On the 28th of July 1943, Agira was in Canadians hands. For the Axis, the Allied advance bypassing the Etna meant the end of the defense in Sicily and the beginning of the evacuation of all Axis troops to Italy.
The stage is set, the battle lines are drawn, and you are in command. The rest is history.
Allied player [Canada] : 6 command cards, you move first
Axis player [Germany] : 5 command cards.
Conditions of Victory:
The castle of Agira is a temporary medal objective for the Allied player.
- Use "BCF Command" rules (Nations 5) to all Allied units.
- Use "Royal Italian Army" rules (Nations 6) to the two Axis infantry units with Italian badge.
- Use "Specialized Units" rules (Troops 2) to all other Axis infantry units. Badges are not required.
- Use "Big Guns" rules (Troops 3) to the Axis artillery unit with badge.
- The castle of Agira is on a hill.
- Militaria Magazine hors-série n°36 - Objectif Messine.
- "La Sicile, débarquement surprise" - Martin Blumenson - Ed. Marabout.
Remember, see the Canadian war graves in Agira.
Please note that this scenario was not approved by Richard Borg or Days of Wonder, so you have to check yourself about playability, potential gaming issues, etc.