New Georgia, in the night 17th to 18th of July 1943, General Sasaki launched the only counter-offensive of the battle of Munda. The 13th Japanese infantry regiment crossed the island jungle to reach the rear area of the US forces at Zanana Beach. By a night attack, the Japanese soldiers succeeded to infiltrate the US defense area and to threaten the 43th US Infantry Division HQ, the field hospital and the engineer bivouac. In the same time, a sanitary column of 169th US Inf Rgt was ambushed on the Munda trail. A lot of wounded evacuated by this column were finished off by the Japanese in the ambush. At Zanana, the Japanese were finally repelled thanks to the support fire of 136th US Field Artillery Battalion. On the 18th of July,the 13th Japanese infantry regiment withdrew to the north of New Georgia, the counter-offensive had definitively failed.
The stage is set, the battle lines are drawn, and you are in command. The rest is history.
Axis player [Japan] : 5 command cards, you move first.
Allied player [United States] : 6 command cards.
Conditions of Victory:
The HQ of 43th US Infantry Division and the Engineer depot are each a temporary medal objective for the Axis player.
- Use "Japanese Imperial Army" rules (Nations 3).
- Use "Capture HQ/supply tent" rules (Actions 17).
- Use "Hospital Recovery" rules (Actions 18) for the Allied player.
- Use "Night Attacks" rules (Actions 19).
- Use "Combat Engineer" rules (Troops 4) to the Allied unit with engineer badge.
- "Cartwheel - The reduction of Rabaul" - John Miller.
- "La Seconde Guerre mondiale au jour le jour" - Ed. France Loisirs.
Please note that this scenario was not approved by Richard Borg or Days of Wonder, so you have to check yourself about playability, potential gaming issues, etc.