Sysyphus - Pommard
NC 2013 : Rules
Mon, 15 July 2013 23:42
If you have any more comments, please post them
I'll open registration around August 5th. We can still amend these rules by then if we consider it appropriate.
Once registration is open, rules will remain as they are.
Some obsolete stuff has been deleted.
Updates appear in bold.
Thanks to dea and Drake for their contributions.
NC RULES 2013
1. NC is a competition for National teams
2. Players who live, study or work in country A and have nationality B may play for either A or B.
3. Players with a double nationality may choose for which country they play.
4. Players to whom 2. and 3. applies have to decide in the preregistration phase for one nationality
5. Players that are not registered players at the end of registration phase cannot play. Players are not allowed to change their names during the tournament.
6. Base for national/transnational teams is a player/country list down to rank 500 posted 6 weeks before the end of the registration phase
7. Players of the same nationality (or chosen nationality as in 2./3.) have to play together
8. Any country that has 4 or more players listed in the player/country list HAS to try to form their own national team. No team can reject a player of the same nationality unless they register a full team. If they fail to get 4 players together - see 10.
8.1 several teams per country are allowed.
9. No player that rejects to play for his nation can play for any other team.
10. Players that are not able to form a full team under these conditions may join with other nationalities regarding 7.
11. Players that are overhangs of registered nations may join transnational teams as in 10 regarding rule 7. In special cases, the TD may allow these players upon request to join a registered nations team (language problems i.e.). No national team that has declared itself 'complete' (= has rejected one or more players of their own country) may ever be joined by a player from a different country. There will be a "Split registration" in two phases, part one for the national teams, part two for the TN Teams and overhangs. In phase one only national teams can register. Two weeks before the start of the NC phase two will be opened to leave the remaining players possibility to form transnational teams regarding the rules.
12. Organisation of play
Tournament > Round > Clash > Match > game
Clash = encounter between two teams
Match = encounter between two players
Round robin: if a group plays a round robin, each team plays against each other team in that group once.
a) At the end of registration captains have 2 days to send their perceived ranking list of the participating teams to the TD ranking them from 1 (1 indicating the team perceived to be the best) to <number of participating teams>.
b)The TD will discount the top 2 and bottom 2 rankings for each team and will calculate the average perceived ranking. Team with the lowest average is ranked #1 and so on. If a captain does not submit this ranking list in time, TD will use whatever lists he/she has.
c) Group assignment : see 12.5
Captains can be either playing or non-playing. The captain acts as the spokesman/woman of the team in the following way:
- He/she registers the team by posting a reply on the REGISTRATIONAL thread;
- The captain sends the TD a PM WEEKLY with the four-player lineup no later than Wednesday, 11:00 PM (GMT) (the week before the start of the next round). If the TD doesn't receive it in time, she/he will use the lineup of the round before;
The players play their games (they can make arrangements by PM) and pass the results through to their captains, all within the time limit.
It is allowed to start arranging and playing a new round right after the TD has posted the pairings for the next round, even if the previous round hasn't been finished.
12.4 Tournament overview
The tournament will comprise 8-12 weeks including a break of a week in between round robin and knockout phase. Below the division in groups and continuation in knockout phase is shown, based on team's rank, with various numbers of teams:
6-10: Full round robin with SF and F. #1 chooses opponent in SF
6: 8 weeks
7: 10 weeks
8: 10 weeks
9: 12 weeks
10: 12 weeks
11-16: Round robin, 2 groups, with QF, SF and F. #1s choose opponent of other group in QF; cannot meet other #1 in SF, cannot meet best classified of own group in SF.
11: (1,4,5,8,9) and (2,3,6,7,10,11), 9 weeks
12: (1,4,5,8,9,12) and (2,3,6,7,10,11), 9 weeks
13: (1,4,5,8,9,12) and (2,3,6,7,10,11,13), 11 weeks
14: (1,4,5,8,9,12) and (2,3,6,7,10,11,13,14), 11 weeks
15: (1,4,5,8,9,12,13) and (2,3,6,7,10,11,14,15), 11 weeks
16: (1,4,5,8,9,12,13,16) and (2,3,6,7,10,11,14,15), 11 weeks
17-22: Round robin, 3 groups, with QF, SF and F.
4 teams advance per group, the group with the best 2nd comer will be renamed to group D, the next groups circular to E and F, then the pairings for first rd KO will be:
1E-bye, 3F-3D, 2D-bye, 2F-4E ---- 1F-bye, 2E-4D, 1D-bye, 3E-4F
Best 2nd comer will be determined according to the tiebreaker rules (14.2)
Quarterfinal: 1Evs3F-3D; 2Dvs2F-4E;;; 1Fvs2E-4D; 1Dvs3E-4F
17: (1,6,7,12,13), (2,5,8,11,14,17) and (3,4,9,10,15,16), 9 weeks
18: (1,6,7,12,13,18), (2,5,8,11,14,17) and (3,4,9,10,15,16), 9 weeks
19: (1,6,7,12,13,18), (2,5,8,11,14,17) and (3,4,9,10,15,16,19), 11 weeks
20: (1,6,7,12,13,18), (2,5,8,11,14,17,20) and (3,4,9,10,15,16,19), 11 weeks
21: (1,6,7,12,13,18,19), (2,5,8,11,14,17,20) and (3,4,9,10,15,16,21), 11 weeks
22: (1,6,7,12,13,18,19), (2,5,8,11,14,17,20) and (3,4,9,10,15,16,21,22), 11 weeks
23/24: four groups (1,8,9,16,17,24)(2,7,10,15,18,23)(3,6,11,14,19,22)(4,5,12,13 ,20,21) - groups split according to ELO team rank the perceived ranking.
1/8, QF, SF and final (16 teams advance to KO phase)
Each group gets assigned a letter A-D randomly (using toutoune`s suggestion of starting a 4 player game with 1 member of each group and seeing who is the start player - that group becomes Group A, then do it for 3 players to figure out Group B, etc.). Once a letter is assigned then the matchups are fixed.
A1 plays B4 (i.e. Group A 1st place Team play Group B 4th place team)
A2 plays B3
A3 plays B2
A4 plays B1
C1 plays D4
C2 plays D3
C3 plays D2
C4 plays D1
A1/B4 vs. C2/D3 (winner=A)
A2/B3 vs. C1/D4 (winner=B)
A3/B2 vs. C4/D1 (winner=C)
A4/B1 vs. C3/D2 (winner=D)
A vs C and B vs D
12.5 Clash pairings in round robin stage
Pairings by number of teams in a group, team number according to team rank..
Adjustments can be made as teams of the same nation must play during the earlier rounds of the tournament.
Round 1: 1-3, 5-2
Round 2: 4-1, 3-5
Round 3: 2-3, 4-5
Round 4: 5-1, 2-4
Round 5: 1-2, 3-4
Round 1: 1-4, 2-5, 3-6
Round 2: 5-1, 2-3, 4-6
Round 3: 1-3, 6-2, 4-5
Round 4: 6-1, 2-4, 3-5
Round 5: 1-2, 3-4, 5-6
Round 1: 7-1, 3-5, 6-2
Round 2: 1-4, 2-5, 6-7
Round 3: 5-1, 2-3, 4-7
Round 4: 7-2, 4-5, 3-6
Round 5: 6-1, 7-3, 2-4
Round 6: 1-3, 5-7, 4-6
Round 7: 1-2, 3-4, 5-6
Round 1: 1-6, 2-5, 3-7, 4-8
Round 2: 1-3, 2-4, 5-8, 6-7
Round 3: 1-7, 2-8, 3-6, 4-5
Round 4: 1-5, 2-6, 3-8, 4-7
Round 5: 1-4, 2-7, 3-5, 6-8
Round 6: 1-8, 2-3, 5-7, 4-6
Round 7: 1-2, 3-4, 5-6, 7-8
12.6 Match pairings
Captains choose a lineup per clash. Each clash they are free to choose players and slots they play in.
13. Schedule of play
Once the draw for the next round is posted (on Thursday or Friday in the week preceding that round) the players can play their games (they can make arrangements by PM). The captain must have the results of the match before the end of the week of that round. Example: the second round, of which the draw will be posted not later than Friday, 19th of September, must be finished latest on Sunday the 28th of September.
13.2 Safe exit
Once the schedule of Round Robin is released :
If a team knows in advance that one of their players is not able to play in the time of a certain clash, they can ask for the TD's agreement to have that particular match played before the due time. It is the responsibility of the captain of that team to contact his/her peer to find an arrangement.
Each team, when ready, will send a lineup made of 1 name for that match. The remaining lineup will be sent to the TD at the time scheduled including the score of the match already played.
14.Format of a clash in Round Robin and KO.
14.1. Number of games per match during Round robin and KO.
Each match consists of 6 games.
In case of a tied game, each player will receive 0.5 point. Possible results of a match are 6-0; 5,5-0,5; 5-1; 4,5-1,5; 4-2; 3,5-2,5; 3-3.
14.2. Tiebreaker in Round Robin
To decide upon rank in the round robin, number of clashes won is the first tiebreaker, then the number of matches won, then the number of games won, then the round robin result between the relevant teams.
To determine the best 2nd team when relevant (i.e. when the number of teams per group is not the same for all groups) :
The results of the last seeded team(s) will be removed from the results in the relevant groups to make all groups even. Tiebreaker as described in 14.2 will then apply.
If the last seeded team in this particular group is in the running for a bye, then the results of the second to last seed will be removed.
14.3.Tiebreaker in KO.
To decide upon win in the KO round, number of matches won is the first tiebreaker, then number of games won, then result of the match #1, then result of the match #2, then match #3 and match #4.
To cover the case of an overall perfect tie
if match #1 happens to be a tie, the players have to play a 7th game (or more, if the games happen to be a tie) and the result of this game will stand as the final tiebreaker.
14.4. Starter rule
The first game is opened with random start. For subsequent games the starter alternates.
15. Anti-Cheating Trust:
- Each player plays with his/her personal account. It is forbidden to have anyone else play NC games with that account. The players rating should reflect his playing strength.
- Each player plays with his/her strongest account (overall).
- Each player plays alone. Any contact with others (other than one's opponent) during the game that has to do with that current game is forbidden.
16. Nature of the games
B. US map;
D. Observable: Hide cards or "buddies only" option is not allowed, but TD can allow the use of the 'hide cards' option on certain clashes if asked by captains who suspect cheating on the other side. A game started as NOT observable inadvertently does not have to be replayed. The opening player shall be reminded after that game about the rules. Only if he continues deliberately to start closed, the match shall be given as a win to the opposing team.
17. Anti-Bot Trust
In a game between player A and B, if B is replaced by a bot, A waits till B returns and after that the game resumes, no matter what the bot did. Special cases:
17.1 After about 5 minutes (give or take), if B hasn't returned, A leaves the game. If not, the TD rules:
A. A wins if B hasn't put enough effort in rescheduling the game;
B. The game is annulled if both players express the wish to do so, or if the TD rules that no one can be blamed (if neither of the players could find time, for example);
17.2. In case A continues to play against the bot, the game is annulled if A can convince B or the TD that he didn't play on deliberately. Player A can't win the game anymore.
A. It is not allowed to add players to a team after the start of the tournament unless the TD decides otherwise (mostly in case of emergency). A player can only be registered to one team. This emergency registration has to be according to rules 2./3./6./8./12.
B. In case of a dispute, one of the involved captains sends a PM to the TD with a copy to the other captain. The decision will be under the discretion of the TD. The TD will inform both captains by PM about the decision and post it in the organisational thread if necessary.