On the 30th of November 1939, the Red Army attacked Finland. In Lapland, the 9th Soviet Army ordered to the 122nd Rifle Division to advance towards the border of Sweden and the north of the Gulf of Bothnia in order to cut communications between Sweden and Finland. 122nd Rifle Division avançing on the road from Salla to Kemijärvi was subjected to several skirmishes made by Finnish units of the Lapland Group (Lapin Ryhmä) under the command of Major General Wallenius. The main battle was near Mäntyvaara, half-way between Joutsijärvi and Kemijärvi.
The stage is set, the battle lines are drawn, and you are in command. The rest is history !
Axis player [Finland] : 5 command cards.
Allied player [Soviet Union] : 5 command cards, you move first.
Conditions of Victory:
For the Allied player, exit marker is in effect on the road hexagon marked "vers Kemijärvi".
- Use "Red Army" rules (Nations 2) to the Allied player.
- Use "Skis Troops" rules (Troops 9) to all Finnish units. Badges are not required.
- Use "Winter Weather" rules (Actions 26).
- Winter combat cards rules are optional.
- Wikipedia - Battle of Salla.
- 39/45 Magazine n°139 - La guerre d'hiver.
Please note that this scenario was not approved by Richard Borg or Days of Wonder, so you have to check yourself about playability, potential gaming issues, etc.