On 18th November 1941, operation Crusader was launched by Gal Auchinleck, the aim of this offensive was to liberate Tobrouk still besieged. 22nd Armored Brigade (of 7th Armored Division, "Desert Rats") had to take Bir El Gobi defended by Italian Armored Division "Ariete". Italian infantrymen "Bersaglieri" were entrenched in camouflaged positions on the first line of Bir El Gobi and the British tanks saw them at the very last time. The first tank battlle was won by the British who pursued the Italians tanks withdrawing in a cavalry charge. But at that time, the Crusader tanks fell under deadly fire of several hidden antitank guns. The battle was lasting all the day and the 22nd Armored Brigade left the battlefield with only half of its tanks. 75 Crusader tanks were lost in the battle while "Ariete" Division lost only 34 M13/40. For the British command, Bir El Gobi was a really bad beginning of operation Crusader.
The stage is set, the battle lines are drawn, and you are in command. The rest is history.
Allied player [United Kingdom] : 6 command cards, you move first.
Axis player [Italy] : 6 command cards.
Conditions of Victory:
6 medals. Bir El Gobi is a temporary medal objective for the Allied player.
- Use "British Commonwealth Forces Command" rules (Nation 5).
- Use "Italian Royal Army Command" rules (Nation 6).
- Use "Special Weapon Asset" rules for units equipped with antitank weapons (Materiel 1 & 2).
- The Axis player lays out the minefields (Terrains 29).
- Use "North-African Desert" rules (Action 9).
- Use "Camouflage" rules to units with a star token (Action 16).
- Militaria Magazine hors-série n°6 - Bir Hakeim.
- Magazine Batailles & Blindés hors-série n°6 - Afrika Korps tome I.
- Magazine Troupes d'élite volume 11 - les 3 médailles d'or de l'Ariete.
- "Rommel - la fin d'un mythe" - Dominique Lormier.
Official scenario of FFM44. Played during the tournament in Crépy-en-Valois on the 20th of February 2010.
Please note that this scenario was not approved by Richard Borg or Days of Wonder, so you have to check yourself about playability, potential gaming issues, etc.