After the liberation of Foix by French Resistance (and Spanish Guerillas) on the 19th of August 1944, the German command reacted quickly by sending the "Turkestan Legion" a SS unit, from Saint-Gaudens to recapture Foix. A first battle occurred at Rimont between SS and Maquis and the village was burnt by the SS troops. The second battle was in Castelnau-Durban on the 22nd of August. SS troops captured the village but suffered heavy losses. French Resistance was decided to stop the SS before they reach Foix and the Turkestan legion was demoralized after this battle. So the SS commanding officer decided to surrender to the French Resistance and to the leader of the Jedburg team, major Bigeard, who became later one of the most famous French paratrooper officer.
The stage is set, the battle lines are drawn, and you are in command. The rest is history.
Allied player [French Resistance] : 6 command cards.
Axis player [Germany] : 4 command cards, you move first.
Conditions of Victory:
The church of Castelnau-Durban is a temporary medal objective for the Axis player.
- Use "French Resistance" rules (Nation 1) to all Allied units. Badges are not required.
- Use "Heroïc Leader" rules (Action 8) to the Allied unit with a battle star. It represent the maquis group led by major Bigeard.
- Use "Special Weapons Asset" and "Mortar" rules (SWA 1 & 3) to the Axis unit with mortar badge.
- Use "Churches" and "Road Blocks" rules (Terrain 19 and 40).
- "Air Power" and "Barrage" cards are not used in this scenario. Remove them from the deck before beginning.
- "Bigeard", p 131 à 133 - E. Bergot.
- Wikipédia - La bataille de Castelnau-Durban.
- Image Google Earth de la zone.
Please note that this scenario was not approved by Richard Borg or Days of Wonder, so you have to check yourself about playability, potential gaming issues, etc.