In order to support the landing of Eastern Task Force (8th British Army) in Sicily and to capture quickly Syracuse, the Allied Command had planned the landing of 144 gliders of the 1st Airlanding Brigade. A "coup de main" party by one company of South Staffordshire Regiment should permit the capture of Ponte Grande on Anapo river. In the night 09th to 10th of July 1943, because of a calamitous trip, only one Horsa glider landed near the bridge. A lone platoon of SSR captured the bridge according the plan. Reinforced by some isolated paratroopers, this troop was attacked by Italian soldiers of the 75th Infantry Regiment (Division Napoli) with the support of one artillery battery and one platoon of armored cars.The British soldiers resisted until the afternoon when, out of ammunition,some survivors had to surrender. Ponte Grande was recaptured half an hour after by infantrymen of the 5th British Infantry Division.
The stage is set, the battle lines are drawn, and you are in command. The rest is history.
Allid player [United Kingdom] : 5 command cards.
Axis player [Italy] : 5 command cards, you move first.
Conditions of Victory:
Ponte Grande is a temporary medal objective for the Axis player.
Use "BCF Command" rules (Nation 5) to all Allied units.
- Use "Italian Royal Army" rules (Nation 6) to all Axis units. Badges are not required.
- Use "Special Weapon Assets" and "Antitank Weapons" rules (SWA 1 & 2) to the two Allied units with Antitank badge.
- Use "Night Combat" rules (Action 19).
- Anapo river is impassable (Terrain 8) except by the bridge.
- "Histoire des opérations aéroportées" - Ed. Elsevier.
- Militaria Magazine hors-série n°33 - Débarquement en Sicile.
- "Opération Sicile" - W. B. Brever.
Please note that this scenario was not approved by Richard Borg or Days of Wonder, so you have to check yourself about playability, potential gaming issues, etc.