With Shanghai and Nanking fallen the situation for the Chinese was desperate. Taking Xuzhou would mean another blow to the Chinese and consolidate the Japanese conquests by connecting the Beijing and Nanking areas.
On February 9, the Japanese 13th Division in the southern sector of the Tientsin-Pukow Railway made a forced crossing of the Huai River in the vicinity of Pang-pu. The 51st Corps of the Chinese Nationalists threw it's full weight into the fight. Eventually, however, the Japanese fire power was superior and the Chinese had to fall back to the banks of the Wo and Hui rivers to the north.
NB: I haven't been able to find out what the weather was like, so the Winter board might not be historically correct.
The Japanese player takes 6 command cards, you go first
The Chinese player takes 5 command cards.
Conditions of Victory:
Sampuchen is a Majority Victory location worth 1 medal to whoever has control (so the Chinese player starts with 1 medal)
The Hex marked Towards Xuzhou is worth a Permanent Victory Medal if the Japanese player can get a unit on it.
- The Huai River is Fordable (Terrain 41) the ice hexes used are purely cosmetic.
- Imperial Japanese Army rules (Nations 3) are in effect for all Japanese infantry.
- The Chinese Artillery has only 1 figure to symbolize light artillery.
- The Japanese armor units have 4 figures to symbolize the superior number of Japanese armored vehicles.
- If the Air Power Card is played the effects are reversed (i.e. the Japanese (axis) player rolls 2 dice, the Chinese (allied player) rolls 1 die per hex.
- Air Rules are optional, if used give the Japanese player one Air Sortie card and shuffle the other in the deck. The Chinese use a Spitfire as their plane in this scenario. The Japanese cannot use the Kamikaze ability of the Zero.
Hsu Long-hsuen and Chang Ming-kai, History of The Sino-Japanese War (1937-1945) 2nd Ed., 1971, pg.225 + Map 9-1
Please note that this scenario was not approved by Richard Borg or Days of Wonder, so you have to check yourself about playability, potential gaming issues, etc.