There are problems with this scenario: it cannot be set-up using the standard terrain tiles of Memoir '44 and the selected extensions. There are too many terrains of one or more types. Please contact the author.
As the 5th Division reached Linyi Generalissimo Chiang ordered the 59th Corps from Teng Hsien to Linyi. On March 12, the corps reached the northern outskirts of Linyi. It launched a counterattack in conjunction with the remains of 3rd Army. After a bloody battle which lasted 5 days, it broke the back of a brigade of the Japanese 5th Division, killing more than half of the men in that brigade. In the night of March 17, Japanese remnants retreated from Linyi. Chinese forces followed up with a pursuit which led to still greater achievements. On March 23 the Japanese launched their own counterattack after the arrival of reinforcements. The Chinese managed to retreat in relative order to Linyi and hold their positions.
The Chinese Player takes 5 command cards, you go first
The Japanese Player takes 5 command cards.
Conditions of Victory:
The center of Linyi is worth 1 temporary victory medal for the Japanese player.
- The Imperial Japanese Army rules are in effect (Nations 3) for all Japanese units.
- The remains of the Japanese brigade from the 5th Division and the Chinese 3rd Army defenders of Linyi have all been fighting for a long time and have only 3 figures (notice that the Japanese units still attack with 1 additional die in close combat despite being only 3 figures).
- The Chinese Infantry of the 59th Corps is mixed infantry and cavalry and count as Specialized units (Troops 2) for the purpose of this battle.
- The Japanese Armor has 4 figures to symbolize the numeric superiority of the Japanese armor over the Chinese ditto.
- The Light Forest hexes are treated as Jungle hexes (Terrain 57 - Jungles).
Hsu Long-hsuen and Chang Ming-kai, History of The Sino-Japanese War (1937-1945) 2nd Ed., 1971, pg.225-226 + Map 9-1
Please note that this scenario was not approved by Richard Borg or Days of Wonder, so you have to check yourself about playability, potential gaming issues, etc.